Why can't the land title office give me legal advice?

Land title staff are unable to advise on legal rights or actions associated with land titles and charges. The Registrar of Land Titles and staff...

How do I know which land title district my property is in?

View a map of the Land Title Districts in BC for more information.

One of the registered owners of a land title has died. How can their name be removed from the title?

Transferring title such as after the death of a spouse or owner on title requires the expertise of a legal professional. See...

How can I find the Parcel Identifier (PID) for a property?

You can search for a PID using ParcelMap BC, the LTSA's online map of active...

Will I be informed by the LTSA if a charge is registered against my title?

Owners are typically involved or notified when charges are registered against their title. The notice will include information about the nature of...

Your title is a source of some of the information shown on your property tax notice and your assessment notice.

Below are some common reasons for calls to the land title office prompted by property tax assessments and notices. Please note the LTSA cannot conduct title searches over the telephone.

  • To learn more about your property assessment, visit BC Assessment.
  • If the property address is wrong, a Form 15 Notice of Change of Address must be mailed to the LTSA. Follow these instructions.
  • If the name is inaccurate, or if you need to remove the name of a deceased person from title, the LTSA recommends that you contact a notary or lawyer. Failure to do so may result in a defect application which could incur extra time and costs.
  • If the name has changed due to a change in marital status or other legal name change through Vital Statistics BC, a Form 17 and original documents must be mailed to the LTSA along with payment. Follow these instructions.
  • If you have recently purchased or sold a rural property, please note that there may be a delay with land title records being reconciled with records of the Office of the Surveyor of Taxes. For further information, please contact your conveyancing professional.

The LTSA does not provide legal advice and cannot assist customers with completing application forms for land title registration.

The general public should contact lawyers, notaries, land surveyors, or independent registry agents to conduct title searches and filings, and to obtain copies of title documents. Consult Hire a Professional to Assist You for contact details.