• The general instructions on this website do not guarantee registration.

    All land title applications undergo a complete examination after they are received. The LTSA recommends you consult with a legal professional who can provide advice on compliance with these statutory forms and related matters.

    LTSA employees are not permitted to provide legal advice or assist in completing forms.

To change name on title as a result of marriage, divorce or other legal name change.

Steps to Apply at Land Title Office Counter or by Mail

  1. Original Marriage Certificate or Certificate of Change of Name.

    Evidence may be required to demonstrate a “chain” of name changes if the Name on the Marriage Certificate or the Previous Name on the Certificate of Change of Name differs from the Name on Title (for example, due to a previous married name or additional/missing middle name).

    1. If you were married or changed your name in BC, these documents may be obtained from BC's Vital Statistics Agency or the nearest Service BC office. A marriage commissioner's statement of marriage or a copy of a marriage license is not acceptable. If the marriage certificate is in a language other than English, it must be translated and the translation must be in the form of an original statutory declaration sworn before a notary public or lawyer.
    2. To apply to change your married surname back to your birth surname, you must supply the original Marriage Certificate and ensure the "chain" of name changes is clearly demonstrated by providing evidence such as an original statutory declaration supported by the original Birth Certificate.
  2. A duly-completed PDF iconForm 17 - Change Name by Marriage.
  3. Duplicate Certificate of Title must be surrendered if not on file at the land title office. A title search will determine if the Duplicate Title is still on file in the land title office.
  4. Pay the Indefeasible Title fee of $71.58 for each parcel or charge affected.
  5. If you require confirmation of registration, please complete a PDF iconRequest Form for State of Title Certificate and for each title include payment of $14.31 for the Certification fee.

Additional Information

  • When completing forms, type or print clearly in dark ink on standard letter-size paper (8.5" x 11")
  • If you are submitting a copy of the application to be returned to you, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope
  • This is the expected registration process for applications received in person or via mail
  • When paying Property Transfer Tax (PTT), a cheque payable to the “Minister of Finance” is the only acceptable form of payment accepted at land title office

At a Land Title Office Counter

  • Submit the completed form(s) to the land title office that serves the land title district in which the property is located.
  • Hours are:
    • 9:00 am to 3:00 pm Monday to Friday for registration of documents
    • 9:00 am to 4:00 pm for other services (title searches or plan and document copies)
  • Payment is by debit, Visa, MasterCard, cheque or money order
  • Cash is not accepted
  • Any filings submitted after 3:00 pm are processed the next business day

By Mail

  • Fees are payable in Canadian funds by cheque or money order payable to: Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia
  • Do not mail cash