How can I find the Parcel Identifier (PID) for a property?

You can search for a PID using ParcelMap BC, the LTSA's online map of active...

What is a Parcel Identifier (PID)?

A Parcel Identifier or PID is a nine-digit number that uniquely identifies a parcel in the land title register of in BC. The Registrar of Land...

Why can't the land title office give me legal advice?

Land title staff are unable to advise on legal rights or actions associated with land titles and charges. The Registrar of Land Titles and staff...

How do I know which land title district my property is in?

View a map of the Land Title Districts in BC for more information.

The general instructions on this website do not guarantee registration.

All land title applications undergo a complete examination after they are received. The LTSA recommends you consult with a legal professional who can provide advice on compliance with these statutory forms and related matters.

LTSA employees are not permitted to provide legal advice or assist in completing forms.

The duplicate certificate of title or duplicate Indefeasible Title is a highly valuable document and when lost, it is costly and time consuming to replace. Its loss could interfere with future plans to transfer the title.

Steps to obtain a provisional Certificate of Title

If a duplicate certificate of title has been lost or destroyed, the owner through their agent or solicitor will need to apply to the registrar to obtain a provisional Certificate of Title in lieu of the lost or destroyed duplicate certificate.

Applications for the provisional Certificate of Title must be submitted electronically, in accordance with the requirements for electronic filing set out in the Land Title Act and directives issues by the Director of Land Titles. Owners are encouraged to contact a legal professional for assistance with the application. Typically, the need to apply for a provisional Certificate of Title is discovered by a legal professional who is preparing a separate application for the owner, so the applications can be prepared and submitted at the same time. 

An application must include the following information:

  1. Proof of loss in the form of a sworn affidavit by the owner(s) stating:

    1. The title number, legal description of the land, and name of the registered owner(s).

    2. The particulars as to delivery of the duplicate indefeasible title from the time it was taken from the land title office to its receipt by the registered owner and the circumstances of its loss and efforts made to find it.

    3. That the registered owner has been in uninterrupted legal possession of the land for a certain number of years without any adverse claim having been made on him or her.

    4. That he or she has never pledged the duplicate indefeasible title or hypothecated it by way of security for a loan or otherwise except asset out in the affidavit.

    5. The present market value of the land including any improvements on it.

  2. Where the duplicate indefeasible title has passed through several hands after delivery from the land title office, the registered owner(s) should obtain sworn affidavits from each party so as to establish the continuity or chain of events leading to the loss or destruction.

  3. Upon review and acceptance of the application, the land title office will contact your legal professional regarding advertising requirements and further instructions.